Thursday, February 16, 2012

Speak Scene Analysis

Author's note: For an assignment we were supposed to choose a scene from the book Speak that changed the book. I chose the scene where Melinda is at her first day of high school and at a presentation about the year to come.

In one scene, we find Melinda in the auditorium on the first day of school for a first day presentation. None of her old friends talk to her, because of what she did. She called the cops at a party where there was drinking, and now all her friends hate her. They whisper mean things about her behind her back, and completely ignore her. I believe this is a major scene in the book; it is the point that Melinda becomes an outcast. The whole book up to the point I am at, it mostly remains this way. This scene pretty much sums up how rejected Melinda is by her former friends and piers.

1 comment:

  1. Sean, come on now! Give some effort here. Do I need to revisit the dojo? What are the effects of all this? What are the ramifications to our real lives? Oh my gosh! You are lucky I work all the way down the hall!

    ReplyDelete